The Winter Reading List
10. Holes by Louis Sacher- Ok, ok i know, this book is pretty used to the praise, but seriously this is a good read! It's really mysterious and as you read it there are a lot of "-GASP- that's how it fits!" moments. If you have trouble getting the book (which I doubt you will), or you become a total freak about the book ( like me) you should rent the movie. It's the ONLY book-made-into-a-movie film that actually pays attention to the book.
9. More Bones by Arielle North Olson & Howard Schwartz- This is basically a collection of scary stories from around the world. You're probably thinking I'm crazy for putting a horror book on here, but this is the only horror book that totally creeped me out. The pictures helped. But for those who can read the scariest book on the planet, filled with blood, screams, and things that go bump in the night, and shrug it off without any goosebumps ( I'm looking at you Ms. Maya Quandt) this is still good.
8.Weslandia by Paul Fleischman- This is a picture book. Shocking. I know. But this is surprisingly good. It's about a boy who creates his own civilization ( I'm not kidding. He makes a writing system, a sport, and his own house.) over the summer. This is pretty good.
7. Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn- I still wonder why I read this book. It's basically these two people back in prehistorical time, man and woman, who fell in love with each other. Then they died like 4 minutes after meeting. Then throughout history the are reincarnated and each time they fall in love again. I'm not one for love stories. But this was pretty good. Enough to be ranked #7.
6. Pixarpedia (no author ) - This is a GIANT book on the first ten PIXAR films; Toy Story, A Bugs Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatoullie, WALL-E, and Up. It gives you all the facts, plots, and secrets to PiXAR. Really good.
5. Warrior vs. Warrior ( no author ) - A book about the world's past warriors like the gladiators, or the ninjas. It's basically a play by play of who would win if two fought and how they lived. A little violent. But not that much. I'd rate it PG.
4. The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davis- This is a book about a brother and a sister. Brother gets mad at sister. Sister challenges brother to a contest to see who sells the most lemonade in a week. Soon, chaos reigns. This is really funny and touching. I swear, the brother and sister have a almost twin relationship to me and my sister...
3. You're a bad man, Mr. Gum! by Andy Stanton- Mr. Gum is big ole meany pants. He wants to poison a dog that ruins a beautiful garden he keeps. Why does a mean old man keep a garden? Guess. Ok, I'll tell you. If he doesn't, a mean, pretty fairy comes out and whacks him with a frying pan until he fixes the garden. DUH! This is a really funny book.
2. She Said Yes by Misty Bernall- Have you heard of Columbine High School? In 1999, two students went on a rampage through the school armed with guns and shot 12 students dead. Cassie Bernall was one of them. When confronted by her killers, she was asked the question "Do you believe in God?" and She said "yes". This is a memoir of Cassie written by her mother. You know how sometimes in books you might get teary, but not fully crying? While reading this. I sobbed so hard 3 times. I'm tearing up as I write this. If this doesn't touch you, nothing will.
1. Chill by Allan Peterkin- A book about the most crazy thing in the world... Fridge Art. This is a funny book on how to create a really cool refrigerator. Just go ahead and buy it. You'll love it.