Thursday, January 15, 2009

the post in which i was going to complain about my ridiculously horrible week

This has been one of the worst weeks I've had in quite awhile. And not only has it been bad, it has also been long. I could almost believe that the entire world was taken over by aliens who changed our whole calendar system, making each day actually a week long. Seriously, it's been bad. But as I sat down to whine and cry and moan and complain, I realized that I couldn't do it.

Even though our week started out with Doug going to the wake of a 39 year-old co-worker and friend who went to sleep one night and didn't wake up, leaving behind a devastated wife and 3 very small children.

Even though I started to make dinner for the kids on that night and discovered we seem to have a mouse living with us.

Even though on Tuesday night the Summit broke down, leaving us a one-car family until we find out whether it's even worth fixing or if we have to get a new car (and a new car payment...yipee!).

Even though Ryan's bus was an entire hour late on Wednesday morning, one of the coldest mornings we've had this year.

Even though the mouse traps are still empty.

Even though when I was making bread dough on Wednesday, I knocked my very favorite Pyrex measuring cup that I've had since before I was even married, off the counter and it shattered into a million pieces.

Even though I was in the middle of making blueberry muffins when I discovered I only had 2 paper liners.

Even though when I went to Target to get a new measuring cup and paper liners, I was carrying Ainsley in one arm and my sunglasses in my other hand and I waved at Aubrey (who works at the Starbucks counter), and my sunglasses went flying across the store and I looked like a total dork!

I woke up this morning and I knew it would be okay.

Because the bus was on time.
Because we all got ready this morning and there were no screaming tantrums or fits. None from the kids either!
Because Ainsley gave me a kiss without me even having to ask for one.
Because Jack reached out and grabbed my hand on the way into school and I didn't have to ask for that either.
Because Doug got some really great news at work.
And tonight, we're having tacos for dinner with beans and chips and salsa and guacamole and everyone will eat it.

And I can't ask for it to be much better than that.

No comments: