Tuesday, September 23, 2008

an extra serving of jackson

I've been known to post amusing (to me anyway) things that Jackson says on here from time to time. But you have to believe me when I tell you that I don't post the half of it! That kid has me laughing so hard sometimes my cheeks hurt! So I've decided to serve up a some of my favorites from the past couple of days.

Sometimes what cracks me up is the way he views the world. It's very amusing, in a very sweet way. Like this morning, we had just dropped Emily off at school and were on our way to his school. It was a little breezy and he was just leaning back in his seat gazing out the window and then all of a sudden, "Oh look! The trees are dancing!"

And before that happened, we were at home eating breakfast. Emily had asked me to make pancakes and Jack decided that's what he would like too. So I fixed his plate - the pancakes cut up with syrup drizzled over them and some more syrup on the side of the plate. See, each of my kids eats pancakes differently. Jack eats them cut up. Ryan leaves his whole and dips each bite in syrup and Emily leaves them whole, slathers them with butter but no syrup. Anyway, he started to eat and I asked how everything was and he said:

"Fine. It's good that my pancakes aren't annoying me."
"Um, how do pancakes annoy you?" I asked. To which he replied, very matter-of-factly, "When the bottom falls off."

It took me a second to realize what he meant, and then it came to me as I watched him stab a piece of pancake with his fork, dip it into the pool of syrup on his plate, and then look to see if the bottom layer was still on his bite and not floating in the syrup before he put it in his mouth. I guess if half of my bite never made it to my mouth, I'd be pretty annoyed too!

I also love it when he channels me. Out of the blue the other day:

"Mom, allegro means fast. And adagio means slow. Seriously."

Of course some of the best ones come when he doesn't understand my meaning. Like this great one from Sunday afternoon. It was mid afternoon and he asked if he could have a snack. I asked what kind of a snack and he said he would like some toast. So then I tried to think of everything he had eaten that day and the only thing I could think of was toast! Toast for breakfast and toast for lunch. So I said, "Gee Jack, have you had anything but toast today?" And he looked at me with eyebrows raised and said, "Uh...I didn't say I wanted butt toast!" Which Ryan thought was h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!** And so for the next couple of minutes he was all "butt toast" this and "butt toast" that. I was half tempted to ask him what he thought "butt toast" was, but then I realized I didn't really want to know.

**Ryan is all about the middle school humor these days. He couldn't wait to come home and tell me about how his math teacher was explaining the associative property and so he drew the parentheses and made them look like a butt. Get it? Associative property?? I guess those are the kind of jokes you can get away with telling when there aren't any girls in the class. I'm certainly not going to complain, though. Ryan's never been interested or excited about math before, so whatever works!!

I only wish I could be a fly on the wall in his classroom at school!

No comments: