Thursday, May 7, 2009

my favorite guacamole

I meant to post this recipe on Tuesday in celebration of Cinco De Mayo, but I had too many margaritas and couldn't find the computer. I kid. Actually, I barely had time to breathe that day, let alone drink margaritas or eat my very favorite guacamole with some crunchy, salty chips! (Really, explanations are coming...I promise!)


What I love most about this recipe is that it is totally customizable. Whether you like it chunky or smooth, spicy or mild, a little or a lot...it's so easy to make it however your heart desires.


Here's what you need: (This usually makes enough for Doug and I to snack on before dinner, some for our tacos/fajitas and maybe a little left over for lunch the next day.)


3 avocados (I prefer Haas, with the dark skin)


2-3 heaping tablespoons pico de gallo (of course, you can make your own, but our grocery store sells it pre-made. It's usually in the refrigerated produce section.)


Juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon (Whichever you have on hand. Personally, I prefer lime, but lemon works just fine. It's about 1 or 2 tablespoons.)


Several dashes of Cholula Hot Sauce (If you prefer Tabasco, you can use that, but I think Cholula has much more flavor.)


Salt and pepper to taste


Here's an easy way to cut up the avocado (via simplyrecipes.com):

Grip the avocado gently on one side with one hand. With a large, sharp knife in the other hand, cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed. Open the two halves to expose the pit. For safety, fold up a kitchen towel and use that to hold the avocado half with the pit. Gently tap the pit with a knife with enough force so that the knife edge wedges into the pit, but not so hard as to cut all the way through it. I generally just tap it very gently a few times, each with increasing pressure, until a cut is made in the pit sufficiently to twist the pit out. Getting the pressure just right takes a little practice.  With the edge of the knife, twist the pit out of the avocado and discard.

Next, make cross cuts in the avocado, being careful not to cut all the way through the skin.


Then, use a spoon to scoop out the chunks of avocado.



Add remaining ingredients...


Mash it all up, and you're good to go!



Again, make sure you taste it before serving and adjust the hot sauce, salt, pepper, juice and pico according to taste.  My very favorite chip to serve with this is Mission Tortilla strips.  We had them at Mike and Beth's house last summer and fell in love with them.  Unfortunately, the only grocery store around here that carries them only carries them occasionally...so when they do we stock up!  I guess we were out of them for this photo shoot...but of course, any chip will work!

Seriously, it's good.  You should go make some right now.  

No comments: