Monday, June 23, 2008

laughter is the best medicine

We got the news last week than Ainsley's ears aren't doing any better, so she's going to have her tubes replaced on Wednesday. We were hoping that we could make it until her other surgery in August so we wouldn't have to put her under anesthesia an additional time, but the tube in her left ear is halfway out and her ear drum is bulging. Even though I know it's best that we do this now and make sure her ears are okay before her next surgery, I was still a little bummed about it all. And just as I was about to beg my darling husband to drive the 54 seconds to SuperTarget to pick up a pint or two of Ben & Jerry's so I could drown my sorrows, we started our Friday Night Movie. We try to do this every Friday...we usually have pizza and then watch whatever movie we've chosen the geniuses at Netflix to deliver. (Really, Netflix, one of the greatest ideas EVER! Rent as many movies as you want without ever leaving your house!! Brilliant!!!) So this week was The Best of Looney Tunes, Volume 1 Disc 1. Over 90 minutes of classic Bugs Bunny and friends. I knew it would be a hit, because over the past month we've downloaded a few episodes on iTunes to watch on the computer and the kids loved them. But I was never in the same room when they were all watching at the same time. Ryan and Emily laugh, but I'd be hard pressed to be able to fully describe what Jack does. It starts as a giggle and ends up with him rolling on the floor hysterically laughing and he doesn't even stop for a breath. That in and of itself is such a fabulous sound, but all 4 of them laughing at the same time? (Ainsley, of course, is just laughing because everyone else is laughing.) I can only think of one sound that is better and that's the sound of my children saying, "Hey Mom, you look a little tired. Why don't you go upstairs take a little nap while we finish cleaning things up down here." And the only reason that sounds better is because when I hear that, I know I must be dreaming and therefore must be asleep. Ah, sleep...

Anyway, I suggest you run right out and rent 4 kids and a Looney Tunes DVD of your own for a night and you'll see what I mean. It's better than Prozac, Ben & Jerry's AND sipping margaritas on the beach. Seriously. It's that good. In fact, you can just rent my kids. $20 an hour. Best money you'll ever spend. And I could really use the sleep.

No comments: