Thursday, October 9, 2008

mmmm, pie

Jack's preschool class had a field trip to a farm yesterday. The kids had such a blast seeing the animals, playing on the "hay bale playground" (no jungle gyms on the farm!!) and going on a very bumpy hay ride. One of the best parts for me was going to the market and picking up some fresh tomatoes, apples and a nice, big pumpkin. I was most excited about the apples, though, because it was kind of a chilly, rainy day and I thought an apple pie would be just the thing to warm up our evening.



I am not normally a pie baker. I've been known to make one or two for the holidays, but baking pies is a little out of my comfort zone. In fact, the last apple pie I made was last Thanksgiving and although I found it to be delightful (as I do all Barefoot Contessa recipes), Doug and Ryan thought it was way too tart to actually be considered a dessert. So, I started with Jean's recipe for Flaky Pastry Dough and tweaked it just a tad (to accommodate the sweet tooth) and then changed a few things in the filling from my Barefoot Contessa recipe. It looked beautiful out of the oven and I had every intention of taking a picture of it, but as I've mentioned, I don't bake pies very often, so when I do, they don't sit whole on the counter for too long. Ryan and Doug couldn't wait to cut into it and the finished product was a very sweet, very tasty, yet very soupy pie.

Sigh.

So, I am now on a mission to perfect my apple pie recipe. Hopefully it won't take too many tries. I don't think my waistline can handle it! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you may have made the perfect pie but they cut into too soon! My pies are soupy if Mike can't wait - but if they cool completely they set up nicely ~Beth

Anonymous said...

I know how much you love the Barefoot Contessa, have you ever made her Apple Crostata? Foolproof, pie-ish, AND you can eat it with your fingers, it's never runny. Note: recipe says to make one and freeze the other disk of dough for later. We make both and later means as soon as we finish the first one. You would so need both for your fam. XOXO

Carrie said...

Beth, I think you're right about letting it cool. I mentioned that to Doug and he said, "Why would I let it cool?"

I haven't tried Barefoot Contessa's Apple Crostata, but it's on my list! I've seen her make it on the show several times. Of course, even though it makes two, I'd probably still have to double the recipe, knowing my fam!!